Steve and I have been getting my house ready to sell. It's been a lot of work and Steve has done so much of it! He is such a hard worker. I am so lucky to have him helping me.
This past week, we've been cleaning out my basement. The furnished parts of the basement were cluttered, but not bad. The unfinished storage room was pretty bad. It was pretty scary in there, with lots of old boxes and cat odor. We're almost done with the basement now, which is such a relief. Steve cleaned that room so thoroughly, mopping it several times. I had the furnace and air ducts cleaned this morning. There is very little cat odor left. Yay!
It's been entertaining to go through old boxes. I've been moving some of these boxes for over 10 years. (Steve, being a sane and logical person, wanted to just throw them all away since I haven't needed to access them in a long time. He patiently agreed to my desire to go through them.) I rediscovered all sorts of things! Steve discovered some of my bad habits like not cleaning out purses and wallets when I am through using them. Here are some highlights.
- I found my old baseball mitt. Dad, you would be happy to know that my Wilson mitt, the Catfish Hunter edition, is alive and well.
- I found my highschool ring, my graduation pictures, my Albion cap and gown... I knew that they were all boxed up, but it's nice to have them better organized now.
- I found a lot more old pictures where I could test Steve - which one is me and which one is Michelle?
- I found my Social Security card and my birth certificate. Yes, it is shameful that I did not store them in a place where I knew exactly where they were.
- I'm not good about cashing checks. I had a bunch from Grandma that I never cashed. No wonder she started sending me cash for my birthday instead of a check.
- I had a lot of loose change and small bills in my old purses. Steve is going to take me out to dinner with the proceeds.
- I save way too much stuff. I need to be better about shredding bills and taking old clothing to Goodwill. We made a trip to the dump with the car completely packed and we didn't get rid of everything yet. The same is true for our Goodwill trip. I have to make a second trip there too. I have several boxes filled with bills and documents that need to be shredded. I found a place that will do it for a small fee. That beats sitting at my shredder for days. (I tried using my shredder on this enormous pile. I worked for 45 minutes and didn't come close to shredding all of my old, unused checkbooks.)
I'll end this message with two pictures of the most beautiful garden I've ever seen at someone's house. Sue is a woman that I work out with. She had a garden party last week and invited all of us who work out with her. It was a great party and her garden is unbelievable. It's been featured in local magazines.
Her backyard is next to a golf course. The first picture is the view from the house looking towards the golf course. The second one is the view from the golf course looking towards her garden, house and Lake Washington. I wish my gardening sisters and mother had been there. I think you would have gotten a lot of wonderful ideas!

4 comments:
Sounds like you and I are similar in how much stuff we keep around. My god, the crap I should be shredding! Hmmm.. it must run in the family. :)
I'm glad to hear that the house preparations are moving along and that you have such an awesome helper.
Are you guys thinking of going to Bumbershoot? There are a lot of bands I love playing! I wish I could go.
And that garden is gorgeous! Although, I could never imagine doing something like that on my own. I'm having a hard time keeping my little yard weeded. :)
I wish I could go to Bumbershoot! I don't think I will have time. Steve and I plan to visit Michelle, John and Elizabeth. And, we have more work to do on the house to get it ready to put on the market next week.
Oh well. There are other concerts coming up this fall that I think we'll go to. And, we're going to try to get tickets to The Vinyl Cafe show when they're in Seattle in October. (Have you ever listened to that? It's a radio show out of Canada. They are going on the road this fall, mostly in Canada. They have a few shows in the U.S. They will be in Mount Clemens! You should check it out.)
Unfortunately, MB and Carrie have inherited some of the bad Hribar genes. Specifically, I'm referring to saving crap. I'm such a junk saver. However, Grandma is the grand mistress. We moved Grandma back to her apartment last weekend and threw away alot of junk. She'l never miss it. We have boxes in our basement that we have never opened since we moved. Mom wants to throw them out, but like MB, I'll have to go through each box. I know there are hidden treasures, such as my baseball gloves. Nothing is more important to a man than his baseball gloves!
MB, I heard a rumor. Is it true?? Congratulations! We're thrilled!
Post a Comment